Associate of Science in Spa Management
Energize your career opportunities with knowledge and skills relevant to today's spa industry.
Ultimate Medical Academy's (UMA) Associate of Science in Spa Management degree program has been designed to prepare students with theoretical and practical knowledge for employment as a spa supervisor or spa manager or to open their own spa.
The program prepares students with knowledge and business skills in accounting and marketing with emphasis on how to recruit, hire and train spa employees. As students are introduced to the management of a spa, marketing strategies, social marketing and online resources and tools for reputation management are covered.
Various types of spas include day, medical, resort, hotel and clubs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the personal service worker industry, which includes the field of spa management, is expected to grow 14-19% from 2008-2018*. This indicates an above average growth rate compared to other industries.
What You Can Learn
The UMA AS in Spa Management degree program offers a career-focused curriculum that combines general education courses with specialized training designed to teach students how to:
• Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of the spa business model and potential revenue and profit generated by the sale of spa services, products and memberships.
• Examine internal and external marketing activities that drive sales.
• Explore the organizational structure of different types of spas, including the roles and responsibilities of leads, supervisors, managers and directors.
• Supervise spa employees and apply management principles.
• Manage guest satisfaction and how to maintain high standards of spa presentation, appropriate language, professional appearance and conduct.
• Practice a sustainable operation of a spa as related to the global environment.
• Utilize “Spa Booker” software, an online booking, point-of sale and business management software specifically for the spa industry.
This UMA associate degree program can be completed in approximately 18 months. Coursework focuses on preparing students with industry-relevant skills sought by today's employers of spa managers and supervisors. For example:
• In Introduction to the Spa Industry, students study the history, culture and development of spas throughout the world and explore the programs and facilities of destination, resort, day, salon, medical, detox, wellness, weight loss, hospital and hot springs spas.
• In Spa Operations Management, course content focuses on the day-to-day, on-the-floor management of the spa operation. Students are introduced to the roles of the spa concierge and guest services team and the communication styles that create relaxing and memorable experiences for guests
In addition to the general education requirements, other required courses in this career-focused program include:
• Accounting for Managers
• Interpersonal Professional Communication
• Understanding Spa Treatments and Products
• Fitness, Health and Sustainability in the Spa
• Financial Management for Spas
• Marketing the Spa Business
• Managing Spa Employees
• Developing and Managing Spa Facilities
Courses at UMA are taught by instructors who have industry-relevant perspectives regarding the career-specific knowledge and skills necessary to manage a spa business. They are committed to helping students prepare for supervisory or managerial roles in this growing industry.
How You Can Prepare
Successful completion of your AS in Spa Management includes UMA's Think, Build, Live Success™ (TBLS) training, a life skills and self-empowerment curriculum built into all of our programs of study, because today's employers are seeking well-rounded individuals with interpersonal and organization skills to match their professional knowledge and expertise. TBLS also focuses on the job search process and includes techniques for conducting a targeted job search, including contacting prospective employers and tracking job leads.
Associate Yourself with Success.
Advancing your education can be an excellent way to achieve personal, professional and academic satisfaction. It's also a great way for motivated individuals to keep their knowledge and skills current with the latest tools, technologies, theories and practices of today's healthcare industry.
To learn more about UMA, our career-focused programs or how to apply for admission, please contact us today.
For information on student graduation rates, retention and placement rates, and student financial obligations click here.